Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Earthquake Challenge

I'm in the Palm Springs area for a few days. From the condo I can see the San Andreas Fault--tortured hillocks going up the valley from the Salton Sea.

This is an active earthquake zone. According to a sign I read today at an overlook in Joshua Tree National Park, the earth is sliding 3 inches a year to the southeast on the north side of the fault. It's going the other direction on the south side where I'm staying.

This morning I thought I felt a slight tremor. Doing a little research I discovered that there have been 87 seismic events in Southern California in the last week. One of these occurred Tuesday, March 02, 2010 at 06:02 AM--about the time I wondered if that gentle shaking was an earthquake.

Here's the challenge: What was the intensity of that event? What was the ID number? (every event has an ID). How did you find it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magnitude 1.0 ID # ci 4596292
don't remember exact path but
USGS
Seismographic info
Past 7 days open in Google Earth
Located Palm Springs
Clicked on yellow buttons representing events between 2-7 days ago until found the Mar 2nd quake.

InformationFluency said...

Good example of picking an appropriate database and then browsing to home in on the information. That was the challenge.