It's well-known (from ours and other's research*) that students spend little time evaluating the information they retrieve from the Web.
For this reason, we created a detective game that incorporates information evaluation as the forensics activity. WSI: Web Site Investigator features four Web sites where students look for evidence that the information is credible or suspect:
- The Air Car (a car that runs on air)
- New Zealand Golf Cross (a golf game played with an elliptical ball)
- The Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus (an endangered cephalopod found in trees)
- Sorting Hat Personality Test (an online questionnaire that determines your Hogwarts house)
Try it out for yourself!
* The reader is directed to our new book Teaching Information Fluency for more information on student's lack of evaluation skills.